Sacred Heart Primary School opened in 1906. The Sisters of Mercy conducted classes in what was then the Parish church, situated in Pine Avenue. This arrangement continued until 1914 when a new school was built in Walnut Avenue. Around 1924, this building was moved to a site at the rear of the present church. The school continued to operate out of this building and over the years it was extended and renovated. This building now serves as the Parish Hall.
On 24th April 1955, the Most Reverend J.P. O’Collins, Bishop of Ballarat, blessed and opened the first stage of the buildings we now occupy. Additional classrooms were added in the 1960s. Further renovations and additions took place in 1984, when new toilets, change rooms and a multi-purpose room were constructed.
Works were completed in 1996-1997, when the Tamarisk Wing classrooms were added, the library and administration areas were extended and the rest of the school was extensively renovated.
In May 2008 the Olive Grove Wing was opened along with the upgraded adventure playground re-situated in the courtyard. A partially completed administration wing was opened in August 2009, providing a new formal entrance to the school, upgraded reception, office, teacher planning and resource centre, toilets and first aid facilities. National School Pride monies allowed for the construction of a shaded and grassed outside Performing Arts area. In 2010, with the assistance of Federal Government funding (Building the Education Revolution) we completed the refurbishment of the library and technology centre and the construction of our stadium, which includes a stage, general learning areas, offices, storage, kitchen and toilet facilities.
Our school enrolment peaked at around 550 children in 1974, immediately prior to the opening of our second Parish school, St. Paul’s, in September of that year. Our school’s enrolment has remained stable in the years since, remaining at around 350 children.
The Sisters of Mercy continued their work in the school until 1976. In 1977, the first lay Principal was appointed and since that time, the school has been serviced by dedicated and curriculum lay teachers.
The original church and school building, constructed in 1896, is still in use. It has been relocated to St. Paul’s Primary School.
From 2014-2016 Sacred Heart underwent further renovations. The children’s toilet amenities were upgraded, as were the staff-room, library and office areas. A dedicated technology ‘lab’ was created, and the 2016 purchase of a neighbouring house on Olive Grove allowed the school to open an ‘Art House’, dedicated to visual and performing arts.
Our school currently has an enrolment of around 380 students, with 17 classrooms. The general teaching program is complemented by specialist teaching in Physical Education, Digital Technology, Performing Arts and Languages (Italian). All Sacred Heart students are supported by a specialised Learning Support Team.